Friday, August 19, 2011

Every Teen Has a Story to Tell.

I have two teenagers. I also have 2 Elementary aged kids, a toddler and a baby. I have lots to scrapbook. One of my middles is a girl, it is really easy to scrapbook girls, there are so many lovely kits available for girls. Gorgeous colour combos! Inspiration everywhere!
I have one girl, but I have 5 boys. Each of those boys has a story, many stories to tell. Stories that deserve to be preserved and celebrated. I actually prefer to scrapbook for them, and I have some very favourite colour combos I like to use. Teal, brown and orange with baby blue and some green mixed in is most likely my very fave!
I usually have no problem finding some great stuff to use on my boys' pages, as well as ideas for layout and content, but I am really finding it a stretch to scrap for my teens. So much of what is out their is precious and babyish. Don't get me wrong, their are some teen themes out there. Skateboarding, sports and rock 'n' roll make up the bulk of what I find. Which is great. But most of it is still a bit precious for my teen boys. And they don't skateboard. So I pick from here and there and piece stuff together and try to do their stories justice.
But what really stumps me is that when I search online, I can't find many other people who are actually scrapbooking their teens. Why not? Do you have teenagers? Would you like to feature them in your pages and books, but find it difficult to find inspiration? Maybe you don't know where to begin. Maybe you think they will cringe at your efforts and the idea of scrapbooking? Are you unsure of what stories to tell?
I can tell you from experience. They do want you to tell their stories. And in many ways, I think it may be even more important to do this for our teens than for our littles (which I think is super-important!). They need to be reminded of their value, of where they come from, who they are and who they are becoming. And they need to know how much we care about them and what they think and believe.

I really want to know. Do you scrapbook your teens? and Why or Why not?

Some teen inspiration. Make your own at www.Mamasmemories.ca





No comments:

Post a Comment